Even managers have bosses so think about acknowledging your boss today even if your employees don't acknowledge you. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind to keep it appropriate.
- Mean it - whatever you do for your boss today, don't just do it for the show. Do or say something you mean. Bosses may not always let on, but we can always tell sincere from buttering up.
- Keep it simple - a card with a thank you message is fine. Add a brief note if you want, but if you do, make it specific - something your boss did that helped you.
- Keep it short - your boss has even less time than you do. Leaving the card on his or her desk is okay. If you deliver it in person, don't stand around and chit-chat afterwards. You both need to get back to work.
- Skip the gift - unless it's flowers from your garden, or home-baked cookies, etc. Something that's personal is okay.
- Keep it small - this is not a major gift giving occasion. A simple thank you is what you're going for here, not a major present.