From the article: Late For Work Excuses
Employees come up with many interesting, amusing excuses for being late for work. What is the best, most amusing excuse you have heard? Best One You've Heard?
what a mess
- Our 10 month old was going to our pastor's house where his daughter was filling in for our sick babysitter. However, already running behind due to late notice, our boy surprised us with a disgusting diaper package, lol. I called the office to notify them I'd be late. Actually I was 45 minutes late . I tried to explain to my superintendent the situation and even gave the pastors number to verify. I guess I should have brought the diaper too.
- —Guest greg
How is that relevant (2)?
- Employee called in for two days because her fireplace had been damaged; someone had run into it with a truck. OK, except her husband (a mason) builds fireplaces for a living.
- —Guest Head bean counter
How is that relevant?
- I'm late because my husband had a work emergency. (How does that ffect you?)
- —Guest Head bean counter
- Employee: I had my contact lenses on for more than eight hours and I don't have glasses so I can't come in today.
- —Guest Dan
my dog is sick!
- An employee, called in saying that he couldn't make it to work because his dog was too sick, he said he had to stay home and nurse the dog.
- —Guest chris
- I was a supervisor at an old job when I got a call from an employee (who was always late Sunday morning...hung over). She said she was going to be late because she had to take her neighbors cat to the vets because it was sick.
- —Guest Dan
Sad But True
- I've had several embarrassing excuses for being late. One cold day I ran out to warm up my car while I waited in the house. Unfortunately my truck has autolocks that engage when the truck is running. As soon as I closed the drivers door I heard the thunk of the door locks. To add insult the door to my house closed behind me locking me out of the house. I sat in the freezing cold for about an hour until the locksmith arrived. I couldn't even look him in the face. Another incident happened due to frequent air travel. The altitude changes tend to damage you eardrums. One morning after a yawn my eardrum popped. I immediately lost my balance and fell down the stairs. No one believed my excuse. During a business trip in Madrid an impatient motorist attempted to pass in the safety lane. There wasn't enough room so he decided to make some by slamming into the rear quater panel of my rental. We wound up on an exit ramp slugging it out. I wound up with a busted lip and a torn shir
- —Guest earachemyeye
- once a guy was 3 hours late to work and he said, "Sorry I got stuck in the elevator."
- —Guest wow
- I called my boss one morning to tell her I was going to be late... There was a bear in the dumpster next to the car! I even have photos of the visiting bear when he tipped my freezer over but missed the shot of him sitting on my back porch! At the time I lived in the city....well Anchorage, Alaska if you count that as a city! My other one was called in one morning late because there was a moose between me and the car! Yup! Both are acceptable excuses in Alaska for being late to work! Especially if you bring in pictures of the critters in question!
- —Guest Sue
- I was discussing with my boss about something officials while one of our staff came to office at about noon. When asked by my boss he simply replied that he was seeing game of his favourite team in TV!
- —Guest Sudhi
- An employee called in "Got hit by lightening and cant come in"-in the background you hear her boyfriend "Get up honey, we'll be late for work".
- —Guest jonb
- While at college, I had a job at the technology helpdesk. That place was notorious for at least one person calling in each day. My favorite story to tell is something that happened to myself. Like a good college student, I went out partying on a Friday night. I didn't work till 6pm but when I woke up, I was still drunk!! I emailed my managers stating this fact and how I wasn't comfortable being at work in that state. They had a good laugh at that and told me don't let it happen again. Needless to say, I kept my drinking to a manageable level in the future!
- —Guest DrunkInDecorah
- I work in health care. A nurse assistant who was always calling sick, called in to say she couldn't come to work because she had a yeast infection. Another nurse assistant I worked with would show up for work but usually leave soon after she came. She told me one night she had to go because the kids were at a city recreation center and they had a fire so she had to go pick up her kids. This happened to me. I lived in a house that was on apower grid that lost electricity at least once or twice a month. I had put my car in the garage and couldn't get it out because the electric was out and I had locked the only other door to the garage and couldn't find the key. I had to take a taxi to work and eventually showed up, but I was really late for work. I'm sure they didn't believe me,but its true.
- —Guest Jane
I broke my shoe...
- The heel on my shoe broke on the way to work so I had to go home to change shoes.
- —Guest George
I'll just leave anyways!
- My sis was in charge of scheduling at an establishment for a few years and there was one employee that was particularly ridiculous with her excuses. She would ask for literally every weekend off for her "softball games", even though she agreed when she took the job that she would work 2 weekends a month. If she was denied? She just wouldn't show up on that day. She also called in at least once a week to say she'd be a few hours late because she was dealing with wedding planning issues. How that girl never got fired is beyond me!
- —Guest KiKi
1-15 of 105Next